Breastfeeding & Lactation Specialist Help
As a physiotherapist with a special interest in Lactation, I am passionate about giving mums the right tools to breastfeed successfully, and enjoy it.
I have breastfed both my children beyond two years and keep up-to-date with breastfeeding courses and conferences.
There is a wealth of information, misinformation and advice out there when it comes to breastfeeding. So many of the breastfeeding problems I see are treatable and preventable with the right information and gentle guidance.
My aim is to give evidenced-based information to allow mums (and dads) to make informed choices about breastfeeding and to overcome, and ideally prevent, the early challenges of breast feeding.
Common breastfeeding problems:
- Cracked and painful nipples
- Blocked ducts
- Uncertainty: how long per breast, how often etc
Laser for cracked nipples can help significantly to promote healing in conjunction with looking at your baby’s latch & your technique. Breast feeding should not be painful.
It is my privilege to help each and every mum to learn the art and skill of breast feeding. If you are looking for a lactation consultant in Cape Town, I can assist you.
Pregnant and wanting to breastfeed?
I believe every first time mum could benefit from specific input about breastfeeding prior to the birth of their baby, over and above a general antenatal course. I offer a 1-hour ante-natal session to equip mums with the right information to get you and your baby off to the right start. Getting this crucial information from a lactation consultant before your baby enters the world can make all the difference. This can also make a wonderful baby shower gift for a friend. Contact me for special packages on email.
Breastfeeding treatments (home visits or at the practice)
- Laser treatment for cracked and sore nipples
- Ultrasound and drainage for blocked ducts and mastitis. Any redness, lumps or pain in the breast should be treated urgently. Avoid antibiotics, a breast abscess and surgery by seeking treatment early. This treatment involves deep longitudinal massage and ultrasound to help drain the breast and the blocked area thus avoiding breast infection (mastitis) and ultimately a breast abscess.
- Referral for a breast ultrasound should there be a suspected abscess
The right information: We pride ourselves on giving evidence-based information.
Some of the topics we can help you with:
- Demand versus schedule feeding
- One or two breasts per feed
- Night feeds
- Positions & techniques
- Slings & baby carriers
- Solid food
- Support groups
- Returning to work
- Conception while breastfeeding
- Tandem feeding
- Referral to the right breast specialists when necessary